Friday 18 November 2011

Squidoo lenses and OpenGraph

The first thing to mention is that Squidoo have tried to tie up with Facebook's Opengraph. We are all meant to classify our lenses to make it easier for Facebook to learn about the type of people who visit out lenses. If you do classify them, you can't go back and remove the tag, and it seems this gets you no extra traffic.

It hasn't been greeted with overwhelming joy by lensmasters. There was initial scepticism followed by a disturbing update that lensmasterswho used it actually saw their traffic drop.

I haven't used it. I'm not going to. I'm not a fan of facebook.

On a brighter note, here's a revamped and newly-live lens. I do feel rather like I was conned into making this one: It had been carefully run down, lensrank around 700K, I was geting ready to delete it, when I got told it had been selected for the winter magazine. I spent two hours revamping it instead of fixing the bust "Like" module on my lenses. Then I found out it wouldn't show up anyway because it's rank was too low.

It was certainly more fun looking at cat pictures then wading through code, though!


Since there was a debate going on about how good the magazines are for promotion I also fixed up the lens below it that wasn't selected for the magazine, Madeira for Christmas. Comparing the traffic patterns for these two could be very interesting.

No comments: