Thursday 3 November 2011

More thoughts on Wizzley

A second Wizzley page, this time about a certain set of free non-fiction ebooks:
My general thoughts are that the interface is easy to use. It reminds me more of hubpages than squidoo, particularly with positioning. The modules are not as flexible as the squidoo versions, but it has a better range of options than hubpages. It takes European affiliates as well as US, which is a big advantage to me since I'm UK-based.

That said, the Ciamar Price page is up mainly for backlinks. If you have a site that pays you credit for some of your affiliate sales against a site that pays 50% of all sales and a percentage for traffic, it is basic business sense to put the serious content on the latter.

The other good reason to put Wizzley pages up? There's one thing squidoo can't do: spread your risk. If Squidoo goes down or is bought out, you could lose your sites. It's as well to have an established presence on another site as a fallback.

However for now I'm back working on Squidoo. It turns out that Google no longer reads the "About me" module, which means a lot of my backlinks have vanished. I built a handcoded alternative, put it live on 70+ lenses this morning, and republished them. Now I have to do the rest. This is the problem with having a lot of lenses: the time it takes to do manual updates to all of them.

Other things done since yesterday? Added a Magistream Image-free Mine to the Cat Blog. Although the charity mine works well, some users can't deal with issues squidoo throws up so after discovering I can't really fix them, I mirrored the mine on a page where I had more control. I've got a few ideas for converting my "Translate Lens" module into a real module, which are underway.

And I'm still planning events, writing new stuff and other tings, including a new project in the planning stages since last night. The only problem with the idea is whether our servers could handle the potential load, or if we'd have to move to a larger dedicated server. The technie in me likes the idea of new hardware anyway, it's just my business sense that objects.

No comments: