Saturday 20 March 2010

Frustrations of writing

There's an issue with novel #3.

  • I have a complete manuscript.
  • My writing group loved it.
  • An editor said that he was having trouble editing it because he kept reading it.
  • A fan club and regular article readers who liked the concept and signed up to be notified if it was published.
  • I have a marketing plan, distribution conections, and links to areas the publishers usually cannot access to promote it.
  • I even have people asking about the one to follow it.

And after six months I have an ever growing stack of form rejections. Two more this morning.

And I really don't get it. I'd say it was the writing, but if a professional editor I paid to tear it apart says there's nothing wrong with it (losing himself more work in the process) then it probably isn't. The concept is old fashioned, but then so are adventure stories/thrillers themselves, and no agents have checked whether there is a spin on it.

I'm probably not going to send this out again to another agent, and just let the remaining no's trickle in.

So am I giving up? Not a chance. An agent and a large publishing house would be nice, but there are always other options, and I need to take some time to prioritise those.

On the good side, we just shipped a pile of my earlier books off to the US, so at least I've still got distribution over there.

No comments: