Monday 1 March 2010

Class Two rejection

Warning: post may be severely tongue in cheek in parts.

Wow, I'm so touched. I just had my first class two rejection. For those of you who don't follow the blog that is a ( Lady Bracknell voice) "How dare you presume to let your trifling little manuscript cross the threshold of our great and glorious agency!"

They were indeed less than polite. My partner is very annoyed. I'm trying not to kill myself laughing, which is apparently an odd response.

You see, it's hard to take it personally. They haven't read the manuscript or synopsis - that's stated clearly and the papers were returned in exactly the same condition and bundle they were sent in so I believe them. From the content of the pithy two lines (personally written, not form letter so they have no excuse) they haven't even read the cover letter. They don't give a reason for the rejection. So what's being rejected?

My writing? They haven't read it.
The idea? They didn't get that far.
The cover letter? They didn't read it.
The genre? They don't know what it is.
Me personally? They know nothing about me.

It's actually quite bizzare. To be quite honest, the most likely explanation for what I received is an agent with a large slush pile deciding to cull it. It's not hard to imagine: the frantic agent, surrounded by piles and piles of unsolicited manuscripts which tower over her, coffee on the small patch of clear desk, grabbing an envelope from the precariously teetering pile, pulling the contents half-out as her elbow hits another pile and sets it rocking, scrawling urgently across the top of the first sheet, and then shoving it back in the envelope and sticking "return to sender" on it as she clutches the piles before envelopes can cascade everywhere...

After doing three hundred of those I can imagine the urge to not be terse, not polite. However, as someone whose business runs on goodwill and excellent customer service, I will also add I'm not impressed.

The only thing I will thank you for is the return of my unused SASE, which will be departing here shortly on its way to another agent. After all, if I let a nasty comment stop me writing I wouldn't be any kind of author at all.

No comments: