Monday 26 July 2010

Articles, comments, and respect

Over the last few weeks I've had two comments that stood out on my articles. Both of them exemplify why you need to be careful to handle the content with respect, no matter what you are writing about.

The first was a comment by the author on the Michael Jecks lens. As far as I can verify it is genuine, and very flattering. The other is more sombre, on the lens about the Jervis Bay and HX-84.

I think I normally treat my subjects with a great deal of respect, but this was rather a surprise. I knew I was writing about real events and real people, but for some reason I didn't think the subjects of my lenses would ever actually notice them. Since no one has taken offence, I think I have handled the subjects appropriately.

Actually, when I said the subjects of the lenses would never notice them, there is one notable exception: The Lancastria lens. The lens is unaffiliated with the official memorial campaign, but ever since it went up I have got requests from survivors' relatives for contact details for the organisation and ways to trace their family. All you can do in that situation is to pass them on to the official resources who may be able to help.

But it is a reminder, if you are writing online, to remember that the subject of your article, comment or rant may well see it, and why you should treat subjects (especially controversial ones) with respect.

No comments: