Thursday 26 February 2015

Server Woes and silver linings (Pt ii)

(I will explain why this is in two parts further on.)

The front page of the host's site

The front page of the host’s site

Then I discovered that their site could still be viewed on mobile so off I went. (The site is relichost.net – don’t know if you can still see the directory structure but why not have a try. And a laugh.)

This post is in two parts because I keep getting logged out – it seems the server sessions are now rather shorter than they should be, and shorter than they w ere, making it very difficult to write articles. This might be due to memory.

It seems, among other things,  the host have nerfed the memory on the server. WordPress takes 64MB to run out of the box with no plugins, security or extras.  I would normally run it at 96MB or 128MB. A little bird (memory check) on the server revealed that it was running at 48. That’s right, it was running wordpress on a web server with less memory available than my ten-year-old phone. What makes it really funny is that wordpress is offered as part of the package preinstalled.

Now this could be because they have a new self-managed VPS package that they want to ‘encourage’ people to upgrade to – encourage as in “if no upgrade, your site no work”. I’ve left hosters before because of that.

There’s a problem however. For what they are charging I can get a fully managed server from a reputable firm. So I did. (I didnR 17;t intend to but when I saw that rate available I reached for my credit card…)

So my PC got written off by Firefox and recovered by Microsoft system restore and Adobe giving my a free software upgrade. Now my host has damaged my site and the result is a major upgrade in servers without spending more.

Always a silver lining? Perhaps, but I think I’d prefer fewer clouds :)

I’m off to play with my new server now. Ta ta.




This blog has now moved to http://www.rablogs.co.uk/tirial, where the original article can be found.  Server Woes and silver linings (Pt ii) - http://rablogs.co.uk/tirial/2015/02/26/server-woes-and-silver-linings-pt -ii/ was published on February 26, 2015 at 10:45 am.

No comments: