Monday 9 February 2015

Podcasting? Maybe not for me...

I’ve been working with podcasters at work so I thought I might try linking a podcast to this blog as a nice feature. Since I don’t have time to read every post out I was looking for an automatic Text to Speech solution. Podcastomatic offers this free as does iSpeech, so I thought I would try them out, starting with Podsomatic.

You can find the RSS for the Podsomatic feed here:

http://podcastomatic.com/podcast/tirialerror-blog/feed.rss

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any examples of blogs using this, so I was going in blind. Set up was very simple – give the blogs URL and it does the rest automatically. It really is that simple.  The result is an RSS feed which links to the seperate podcasts for your blog articles. You can run any of them by clicking the .mp3 link below the article.

The voice is clear but robotic and the pronounciation is close but slightly off for more unusual words. It is also di stinctly American “Lonjitood” instead of “longitude” (the UK is closer to Lon-gi-tewd).

What I could see taking some time is working out how to link the podcasts to the actual blog posts for users, and I’m not sure how long they retain each cast. Are they permanent, and if not, can you download them and add them to the blog?

I’ll try iSpeech out with a different blog shortly for comparison.


This blog has now moved to http://www.rablogs.co.uk/tirial, where the original article can be found.  Podcasting? Maybe not for me... - http://rablogs.co.uk/tirial/2015/02/09/podcasting-maybe-not-for-me/ was published on February 9, 2015 at 10:52 am.

No comments: