Saturday 17 January 2015

And changing anti-virus...

And changing anti-virus...

2015 seems to be a year for new beginnings.
After many years I am finally moving away from Avast after their new Grimefighter update deleted my sound card drivers as unnecessary and then asked me to pay for the privilege of it blocking any attempt to repair them. Then it tried to force me to update software that is used for backwards compatibility testing, delete software that runs under Win98 compatibility mode, and hijacked my browser repeatedly while throwing popups everywhere. Avast has turned from a good anti-virus that I budgeted to buy last year, into continuous and annoying popups trying to sell me stuff - a.k.a. malware. Fortunately it did it before I spent any money this year, so now I am looking at Kaspersky and other alternatives.
You know, the ones that don't hijack my browser on load and that have started to wiped saved sessions to the point where I have to use a plugin to keep my tabs...
RIP Avast - until Feb 2014 a very good antivirus. Post Oct 2014, a piece of quasi-malware that has done more damage to my PC than a virus ever has.
This blog has moved to http://www.rablogs.co.uk/tirial where the original articles can be found.

No comments: