Monday 9 January 2012

Tools - an unexpected level of interest

Last night I checked the usage stats on those tools. Then I checked again. Then I dropped an email to a friend asking if they saw the 500% upswing too. And then google produced this:

http://www.smashwords.com/about/beta

We're in the status update on the front of Smashwords itself.

The only thing I would like to mention is that this isn't the sole work of one independent developer. This is more because of the owner of an independant publisher (who happens to also be a technical consultant) bemoaning the lack of smashwords widgets, and grabbing a few friends in the same field to correct this - and then making the widgets available to other people with Smashwords' permission.

This isn't, from our point of view, a money-making exercise due to hosting costs and supporting the backend engine. If someone else wants to use that engine to produce a widget with their own referral link embedded that would be fine with us.

The other thing this has given me is a rather extensive list of fixes and suggestions to deal with today, among the work on my own projects and this bits that pay the bills. But, after that update my most nerve-wracking job today is definitely going to be a scheduled and major upgrade to that back-end engine.

Wish me luck!

No comments: