Sunday 23 October 2011

Changing an approach to squidoo

Recently, with the changes to google and the changes to squidoo itself, it has felt as though I've been running a Red Queen's Race to try to keep my lenses updated.

This is partly because it now gives huge amounts of weight to new lenses (over traffic and sales), so the monthly update schedule I was using is now not enough to keep lenses high. As an example I have lenses with over 100 views/week and sales against them rating lower than lenses with less traffic and no sales that are new that week. The second problem is that publishing a lens - literally every time I click "Publish" - now takes five minutes to go through, making tweaks for things like spelling errors extremely time consuming.

I'm trying a new approach. Make a few edits, save the lenses as draft, and then republish all my lenses a couple of times a week, so I know any changes I made have gone live. That way I don't need to worry about republish for tabs, republish for typos, worry if I've got changes unpublished on a lens...

I timed myself two nights ago when I did the first republish and it takes me about two hours. I also found out that I need to do other things like blog writing at the same time. It might be slower, but it helps me avoid climbing the walls.

I'll be trying this out for a month and see if it works for me. If so, I may start doing new lenses again. To be honest, with hubpages very low on traffic and bukisa dead enough that I am migrating my content off them, I hope it works.

ETA: And the second time I try this Squidoo crashes and I lose my place... Also the delay in publishing seems to be caused by something called s.ytimg.com. Each publish, timed, is taking over a minute in total. I can't find any calls or references to that in my code, so I am wondering if it is integral to squidoo.

And a second update? Squidoo just went down.

No comments: