Friday 19 February 2010

Slush piles...

I just got a reminder this morning of another reason not to small-press my book.

Let me state, right here, right now, that I personally never want to deal with a slush pile again as long as I live.

Remember, this was a small press publishing imprint. We didn't just publish what I'd written - we had several authors writing. And this morning, on the vague chance I might possibly restart it, I got my first speculative query. It seems so many people want to get published that even the whiff of a new opportunity and the emails start. I can't blame the writers, (after all I'm doing the same myself) but I also can't accept them. Fortunately, since the company is not currently printing anything, I have a very easy grounds for rejection.

It does make you wonder how many manuscripts some of the big houses receive though.

(And just to make my day better it came just before another form rejection. Just as well it did not come after it - that would have been kicking me while I was down...) 

No comments: