Tuesday 13 December 2011

Smashwords project

A fairly major project now is Smashwords. I couldn't find an API or RSS that supplied what I wanted for a widget, so I haven't yet got to the widget bits. Instead I ended up building a supporting package - three types of XML file and a lightweight PHP library to expose the data in a convenient array.

This is all still in testing, so there may be minor changes, but it is working well enough to support flat html widgets and php-generated banners.

While Smashwords offers general banners for the site, I'm working on ones specific to authors, individual books and searches.

Once I'm confident I'm not dumping broken code out there, I'll throw it open for anyone else who wants to promote their books or Smashwords in general. The RSS and PHP libraries are also going to be publicly available, since there seem to be a few people I know trying to build for them.

If you want the link, leave a comment here.

No comments: