Friday 9 April 2010

A manuscript request

And finally we seem to have progress on the writing front!

Yesterday I got a request for a full manuscript from the publisher looking at one of my novels. After a few moments of complete shock, I sat down to write back. This proved harder than I thought, since the instinctive response is to agree to anything to get one step further towards publication.

Still after some work I think I had a few lines that did not make me look completely insane, and a copy of the manuscript all ready in their house format. It's gone now, out into the ether, and now I just have to wait to hear. And as many authors already know and I just found out: waiting on a response to a full is actually worse than waiting on a query.

Unfortunately I have to admit, after being told repeatedly by various UK agents that there was no market in the UK for the adventure genre, it seems going outside Britain was the right choice. One thing I would be interested in finding out is whether the decline of young men reading and the decline in publishing adventure books (usually targeted towards them) corralates. After all if it does, would that be cause and effect by one upon the other, or a vicious circle?

No comments: