Saturday 23 January 2010

Mixed feelings

Well, I suppose this is the definition of mixed feelings. I just got an email from someone who liked the Lens Companions I did. In fact, they liked them enough to download the free version, print it out, staple through to make a spine and make little books for their history class - about forty copies of each...

Why is this mixed feelings? Well, on the downside, forty seperate downloads would have done a lot for the e-books' stats although I can understand why they only got it once. Also, if you are going to mass-produce it anyway, there is already a bound paperback version available which might be a bit more hardwearing.

On the upside, I wrote the book to try and build interest in the topic, which it has apparently succeeded at. I made it available for free, precisely so people could do what they wanted with it once downloaded. And frankly it's always nice to know someone likes your writing.

On balance, I think I'm thoroughly flattered.

No comments: