Sunday 26 April 2009

Top 100 Club

This is very much a test post, since I don't blog, but everyone starts somewhere right?
Since I'm working on getting into the Squidoo Top 100 I thought I'd start a blog to track progress. I've got over 100 lenses now, but several of these won't count for the challenge. By June I want to be on 150 so that hopefully I will qualify.

Newest Lens Longitude. (#107)
Lens Number 107

As you might have noticed from my past lenses, I tend to be fond of gadgets and technology. In the 1700's there was no way to determine Longitude at sea. After nearly 2000 sailors were killed in one incident Parliament established the Longitude Act, setting a prize for the person who found a way.

John Harrison's story, and those of the timepieces he built to solve the Longitude problem intrigued me. The Longitude lens includes pictures of most of the devices (I could not find a public domain image of H3) the history and the problem. It also covers their restoration in the 1920's by Rupert Gould.

No comments: